M.S. in Computer Science
2019 – 2021
- Coursework: Parametric and non-parametric statistics, machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, reinforcement learning, Bayesian networks, big-data mining, algorithm design and analysis, computer systems, computer and network security, cryptography, complexity theory, web applications
- Academic Distinctions: 2020 – 2021 Siebel Scholars fellowship recipient
B.A. in Philosophy with Distinction
2015 – 2019
- Graduated with interdisciplinary honors in Ethics in Society
- Coursework: Logic, metalogic, ethics, epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of science, feminist philosophy, political philosophy
- Academic Distinctions: Phi Beta Kappa, Lyle and Olive Cook Prize for top Ethics in Society honors thesis, Boothe Prize for Excellence in First-Year Writing
Empirical Research Fellow; Graduate Research Assistant
Regulation, Evaluation, and Governance Lab
Sept. 2020 – Present
- Work in partnership with Santa Clara County on interventions to improve COVID-19 case investigation and contact tracing.
- Developed algorithm to perform offline geocoding of residential addresses via record linkage and analysis of edit distance.
- Built probabilistic models to infer race and ethnicity in order to analyze disparate impact of COVID-19 and related interventions.
- Part-time Graduate Research Assistant from September 2020 to July 2021; full-time Empirical Research Fellow since July 2021.
Software Engineering Intern
- Built a cloud-based data analysis platform to analyze battery sensor data. Wrote scripts to simulate IoT devices, and built out a secure data pipeline to securely stream telemetry data to the cloud.
- Used cloud software such as AWS IoT Core, AWS Kinesis streams, Elasticsearch, and Kibana dashboards to transform, analyze, and visualize telemetry data.
Bluebonnet Data Fellow
Christy Smith Congressional Campaign
- Selected for Bluebonnet Fellowship, which trains technical graduate and undergraduate students to work with political data, and matches them with Democratic campaigns as volunteers.
- Built data infrastructure for the campaign, including automated data transformation from SQL database into reports and tables in Google Sheets.
- Built a dashboard web application using Dash to automatically generate reports on key campaign performance indicators.
Stanford University Department of Computer Science
Jan. 2020 – June 2020
- Led discussion sections, graded assignments, and developed homework and exam problems for CS142 (Web Applications).
May 2018 – Present
- Conduct research for a philosophy podcast hosted by Stanford professors.
- Analyze topics ranging from the ethics of algorithms, to the value of sports, to the rise of right-wing populism.
Investment Associate Intern
Summer 2018, Summer 2019
- Researched global metals markets and steel production trends.
- Participated in an accelerated, conceptual macroeconomics and investing class taught by senior employees, covering topics such as debt cycles, central bank policy, balance of payments, and portfolio construction.
Energy Analyst Intern
D.E. Shaw & Co.
- Developed and tested statistical models to forecast natural gas fundamentals, and researched the future trajectory of renewable energy, focusing on the impact of tax credits and energy prices.
- Underwent rigorous hands-on training in energy markets, with a focus on the power and natural gas industries.
- Participated in seminars with traders and business school professors, covering topics such as valuation, behavioral finance, and how to trade markets such as equities, commodities, and currencies.
Head Debate Coach
Palo Alto High School
Sept. 2016 – April 2020
- Devised a two-month novice training curriculum for new debate students, and delivered weekly lectures about argumentation, research, and public speaking.
- Observed weekly practice debates, providing continuous feedback on delivery and argumentation; coached students to top 5 finishes at the Bay Area regional championships, and to qualification for California state championships.
- Data Analysis and Machine Learning: Spark, deep learning with PyTorch, reinforcement learning, Bayesian networks, mining massive datasets, Jupyter and R-Markdown notebooks.
- Web Development: HTML, CSS, React.js, SQL and No-SQL databases, Python and Express.js webservers, static site generators and JAMStack.
- Stanford Debate Society (President 2018–19; Captain 2016–17): Led a debate team ranked top-five in the nation, which is completely self-funded and supports domestic and international travel and competition expenses for around 45 students every year.
- Responsibilities: Helped to hire and manage 6 employees; led tryouts for and trained potential new debaters; managed short- and long-term financial planning and budgeting; managed staff and handled logistics for large debate events.
- Competitive Achievements: 2nd Place at 2019 North American Championship; top-32 partnership at 2018 and 2019 World Championships; 18th-ranked partnership at 2017 World Championships.
- Hobbies and Interests: International politics, history, law, classical and folk music, cooking and baking, stand-up comedy.